Attracting global talent requires a new perspective. Employers must think about their marketplace for talent internationally rather than just locally. Based on the studies and reports from those that survey employers, many are experiencing difficulties finding qualified candidates for job openings. In fact 80% of employers reported difficulties filling openings in CareerBuilder’s Skills Gap Report. So perhaps now is the time for employers to expand their reach and seek candidates in other markets.
Getting started requires innovative efforts and new methods to connect with the talent that exists internationally. Here are a few things to consider:
Connect where the candidates are. Do research to find out what organizations and communities exist and are attractive to the types of candidates you desire. Connect to schools that are graduating degreed individuals that you desire. For example, international engineering schools or medical programs. Are there local communities like “Engineers Australia” or “Philippine Nurses” that are hot beds of discussion and offer an opportunity to attract and connect with future candidates?
- Get social. Start a LinkedIn Group or Facebook page to attract the types of international candidates you want to engage.
- Join social discussions. Place your organization into the social dialog. Get active, offer insight, contribute to the conversation.
- Schedule interviews. It is virtually free to interview. Set aside some time early or late in a day each week to entertain international candidate interviews via Skype or some other distance connecting tool.
- Speak or do webinars that will draw the global talent audience you seek to engage.
- Find partners. Look to establish a connection to an international recruiter or a collection of global recruiters.
Distance is no longer the reason blocking access to global talent. Technology has enabled connections to anyone virtually anywhere. Leverage the tools out there to connect.
Anyone have a favorite tool for connecting with global candidates they want share with us? LinkedIn and Twitter are our “go to” tools!
If your company has global recruiting needs – contact Trond Larsen – Talent Gallery – email@example.com or call +47 9130 2220. Talent Gallery are members of NPAworldwide – a network with more than 500 search companies around the world.